GLY 110 :
GLY 314 : Mineralogy
GLY 421: Igneous
& Metamorphic Petrology
Low T Aqueous Geochemistry
Geology of Earth Resources
Lab Techniques in Geology
Photomicrographs of rocks
First Year Seminar
ALEY K. EL-SHAZLY, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Geology
Department of Geology, Marshall University
131 Science Building, Huntington, WV 25705
Geology, University of Alexandria, Egypt, 1983.
Geology, Stanford University, 1987.
Geology, Stanford University, 1991.
Teaching Interests: Igneous and Metamorphic Petrology, Geochemistry,
Mineralogy, Geology of Earth Resources, Tectonics, Introductory Geology
- Tectonometamorphic evolution of orogenic belts and continental margins, and reconstructing the P-T-time history of metamorphic rocks. These studies involve field mapping, mineral analysis, application of geothermobarometers, phase equilibria, and a variety of geochronological techniques to metamorphic rocks to develop a tectonic model for the area studied.
- Fluid - rock interaction, with special emphasis on the role of fluids in metamorphism and ore genesis (particularly in subduction zone settings).
- Retrieval and assessment of the thermodynamic data of minerals, construction of petrogenetic grids.
- Granulite facies metamorphism and partial melting in the Central Blue Ridge Province, Southern Appalachians
- Origin of Banded Iron Ores, Central eastern Desert of Egypt.
- Petrogenesis of mesothermal Au vein deposits, Egyptian Eastern Desert
- High pressure metamorphism and tectonic evolution of the continental margin of Oman
- El-Shazly, A. K., Worthing, M. A. and Liou, J. G., 1997. Interlayered eclogites, blueschists and epidote amphibolites from NE Oman: A record of protolith compositional control and limited fluid infiltration. Journal of Petrology, 38: 1461 - 1487.
- El-Shazly, A. K. and Sisson, V. B., 1999. Retrograde evolution of eclogites and blueschists from NE Oman: Evidence from fluid inclusions and petrological data. Chemical Geology, 154: 193 – 223.
- El-Shazly, A. K., 2001. Are pressures in blueschists and eclogites overestimated? The case from Oman. Lithos, 56: 231 - 264.
- El-Shazly, A. K., Brocker, M., Hacker, B., and Calvert, A., 2001. Formation and exhumation of blueschists and eclogites from NE Oman: New constraints from Rb – Sr and 40Ar/39Ar dating. Journal of Metamorphic Geology, 19: 233 - 248.
- El-Shazly, A. K. and Sisson, V. B., 2004. “Fluid inclusions in carpholite-bearing metasediments and blueschists from NE Oman: Constraints on P-T evolution”. European Journal of Mineralogy, 16: 221 - 233.
- El-Shazly, A. K. and Al-Belushi, M., 2004. “Petrology and Chemistry of rodingites and nephritites from NE Oman”. International Geology Review, 46: 904-938. (To be compiled in a special GSA publication in honor of R. G. Coleman).
- Zoheir, B. A., El-Shazly, A. K., Helba, H., Khalil, K. I., and Bodnar, R. A., 2008. H2O – CO2 – CH4 bearing fluid inclusions in quartz: insights into the origin and evolution of two different hydrothermal Au deposits from the Egyptian Eastern Desert. Economic Geology, 103, 405 - 424.Click here for the poster presented at the 2005 GSA annual meeting. Click here for a pdf of this paper.
- El-Shazly AK, and Tracy RJ, 2007. Electron microprobe ages of monazites from the Winding Stair Gap, Eastern Blue Ridge, GSA southeastern Section, Abstracts with Programs, V. 39, #2, p. 26.
- El-Shazly AK, and Loehn, C., 2007. P-T Evolution and Ages of Granulite Facies Rocks from the Winding Stair Gap, Eastern Blue Ridge, EOS Trans AGU, 88(52), Fall Meet. Suppl., Abstract V23C-1556. Click here for the poster presented at the 2007 AGU Fall meeting.
- El-Shazly, AK, Napier, J., and Sanderson, D.D., 2009. Petrology and Geochemistry of the Melrose Stock, East Central Nevada. Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, Vol. 41, No. 7, p. 114. Click here for the poster presented at GSA 2009
- El-Shazly, A. K., Sanderson, D. D., and Napier, J., 2010. Petrogenesis of I-type granitoids from the Melrose Stock, east-central Nevada. International Geology Review. V. 53: 1522 - 1558, DOI: 10.1080/00206811003755396. Click here for a pre-print of this article.
- Khalil, I. K., and El-Shazly, A. K., 2010. Banded Iron Formations from the Eastern Desert of Egypt: A New Type of Ore? Goldschmidt 2010 Conference Abstracts, A059. Knoxville, TN. Click here for a copy of the poster presented at the Conference.
- El-Shazly A.K., Loehn, C., and Tracy, R. J., 2011. P–T–t evolution of granulite facies metamorphism and partial melting in the Winding Stair Gap, Central Blue Ridge, North Carolina, USA. Journal of Metamorphic Geology, 29: 753 - 780. DOI: 10.1111/j.1525-1314.2011.00940.x. Click here for a pre-print of this article.
- El-Shazly, A. K., Khalil, K. I., Rohrbaugh, N., and Gagnon, K., 2011. Multi-stage origin of Neoproterozoic banded iron formations from Egypt. Abstract B41F-0263, Fall Meeting, American Geophysical Union, San Francisco, California, 5 – 9 December.
- Khalil, K. I., and El-Shazly, A. K., In press. Petrological and Geochemical Characteristics of Egyptian Banded Iron Formations: Review and New Data from Wadi Kareim. Geochemistry: Exploration, Environment, Analysis: 12: 105 – 126. Click here for a pre-print of this article.
- El-Shazly, A. K., Khalil, K. I., and Geisler, D., 2012. Origin of Neoproterozoic banded iron formations from Egypt: Geochronological, petrological, and geochemical constraints. Abstract 209990, Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, 44 (7): 37.
- Backus, E., Gagnon, K., El-Shazly, A. K., and Khalil, K. I., 2012. Geochemistry of the Banded Iron Formations and their host rocks in the eastern desert of Egypt. Abstract 210383, Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, 44 (7): 245.
- El-Shazly, A. K., and Khalil, K. I., 2013. A non-glaciogenic origin for Neoproterozoic banded iron formations from Egypt. Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs., 45 (7): 299.
- El-Shazly, A. K., and Khalil, K. I., 2014. Banded Iron Formations of Um Nar, Eastern Desert of Egypt: P-T-X conditions of metamorphism and tectonic implications. Lithos, 196–197: 356–375. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.lithos.2014.01.006
- Khalil, K. I., El-Shazly, A. K., and Lehmann, B., 2015. Late Neoproterozoic banded iron formation (BIF) in the central Eastern Desert of Egypt: mineralogical and geochemical implications for the origin of the Gebel El Hadid iron ore deposit. Ore Geology Reviews: 69: 380 - 399. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.oregeorev.2015.02.017
- El-Shazly, A. K., and Khalil, K. I., 2016. Metamorphic and Geochronologic constraints on the tectonic evolution of the Central Eastern Desert of Egypt: implications for origin of some Neoproterozoic Banded Iron Formations. Precambrian Research, 283: 144-168. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.precamres.2016.07.016. http://authors.elsevier.com/a/1TZpE_6tN843fF
- El-Shazly, A. K., Khalil, K. I., and Helba, H., 2018. Geochemistry of Banded Iron Formations and their host rocks from the Central Eastern Desert of Egypt: Genetic and Tectonic implications. V43F-3778, 2018 Fall Meeting, AGU, Washington, D.C., 10-14 Dec.
Click here for a copy of the poster presented at AGU.
El-Shazly, A. K., 2009.
Last updated December, 2018